Books I’m reading now or have finished recently (via Goodreads)
- The Noise of Time
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
- The Rise and Fall of Adam and Eve
- The Last Tsar: The Life and Death of Nicholas II
- Lincoln in the Bardo
- World Without Mind: The Existential Threat of Big Tech
- The Romanovs: 1613-1918
- Rise of the Robots: Technology and the Threat of a Jobless Future
- The North Water
- Wes Montgomery
- [toread] How the White House's Week Went Off the Rails - The Atlantic
- [toread] What happened to big data?
- [toread] After a Shooting, Gun Laws Are Loosened - The Atlantic
- [toread] Trump's Puerto Rico Visit Is a Political Disaster - The Atlantic
- [toread] Trump Says His Tax Plan Won't Benefit the Rich—He's Exactly Wrong - The Atlantic
- [toread] The Credible Think Tank Is Dead | New Republic
- [toread] Hillary Clinton’s What Happened, reviewed.
- [toread] Python Data Science Handbook | Python Data Science Handbook
- The Biology of Good and Evil: Sam Harris In this episode of the Waking Up podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Robert Sapolsky about his work with baboons, the opposition between reason and emotion, doubt, the evolution of the brain, the civilizing role of the frontal cortex, the illusion of free will, justice and vengeance, brain-machine interface, religion, drugs, and other topics.
- Very Bad Wizards Episode 117: Extended Minds, Extended Foreskins David and Tamler break down a recent classic in the philosophy of mind: "The Extended Mind" by Andy Clark and David Chalmers. What is boundary of your mind? Is it contained with your body, or does it extend to the external environment--to your laptop, notebook, smartphone and more?
I also really, really enjoy listening to podcasts. Here are a few that have caught my attention recently (via Pocket Casts)
- The Biology of Good and Evil: Sam Harris
- Very Bad Wizards Episode 117: Extended Minds, Extended Foreskins
- Your Attention Please, 'PRI: To the Best of Our... - Podcat
- How to Be More Productive - Freakonomics Freakonomics
- Ellen Langer — Science of Mindlessness and Mindfulness | On Being
- Everything on Demand | To the best of our KNOWLEDGE
- Shrink - Radiolab | Pocket Casts
- Episode 112: Ricoeur on Interpreting Religion | The Partially Examined Life Philosophy Podcast | A Philosophy Podcast and Blog
- Parker Palmer and Courtney Martin — The Inner Life of Rebellion | On Being
- WTF with Marc Maron: Interview with Artist Coop